The Daily Word

 


Can I just add my thanks to Denise for a gracious but timely reminder of one very important, but individual, responsibility we all have within our church fellowship and today I want to emphasise another individual responsibility before God.

As a sofa tennis fan, I have been watching Wimbledon which is coming to a climax this weekend. I also have watched recently, athletics events and marvel at the feats these top-class athletes perform. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t seen one competitor wearing long trousers or a long skirt. The reason for their dress code, if I can call it that, is that what they now wear to compete increases their ability to perform and the clothes I mention would hamper them. Everything they use or even wear has been scientifically improved to increase their performance. Wooden racquets are out, replaced by lighter and stronger carbon fibre weapons.

This reminded me of a verse in Hebrews 12 which says, “Let us lay aside every weight and the sin that does so easily beset us”. The writer is describing the individual Christian life in athletic terms. We are competing to win the high praise of God for faithfulness in the life God has given us on earth and concentrating on things which do not increase our Christian performance is not only dissatisfying to us but also dishonours the God whom we are serving. And our appreciation of what is sin is far below what God considers sin, which is basically anything that does not honour Him.

When, or if, we watch top class sporting events, let us consider what is hampering us in our spiritual lives and with God’s help, to seek to shift it.

Article written by Brian Preston, Elder @SFGH Church 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bible Study Recap – 2 Thessalonians 2

The Baptism Testimony of Alfie

Worship in Action...

Artwork with a Story